A Welcoming Congregation
UUCTS is a Welcoming Congregation, recognized by the Unitarian Universalist Association. We affirm and include people at every level of congregational life who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer. We welcome them as whole people in worship, in programs and in social occasions.
As a Welcoming Congregation we have pledged to:
- Honor the lives of all people and equally affirm displays of caring and affection without regard for sexual orientation.
- Celebrate diversity by using inclusive language and content in worship.
- Incorporate an understanding of the experience of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer persons throughout all of our programs, including religious education.
- Affirm and celebrate lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer issues and history.
- Affirm marriage equality and conduct same-sex weddings.
- Advocate for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people, promoting justice, freedom, and equality in the larger society. We speak out when the rights and dignity of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people are at stake.
We recognize that there’s always something more to learn, and remain open to deepening our understanding about the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer people.
The Unitarian Universalist Association’s Office of Bisexual, Gay, Lesbian, and Transgender Concerns offers a wealth of information on the Welcoming Congregation Program.
Interweave, Unitarian Universalists for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Concerns, provides outreach programs, including an annual conference and a quarterly newsletter.
Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) offers support, education, and advocacy for gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender persons and their families and friends. Many of their publications are available for reading on their website, as well as contact information for local parents groups